Looking Back from a Higher Level
- Why Socrates liked talking to people of old age
- Ways in which Ray's view of life is similar to and/or different from Stoicism, Hedonism, Pessimism
- Stoicism: the good life is one in accordance with the rational order of things
- Hedonism: the good life is the maximization of happiness. Happiness is pleasure and the absence of pain.
- Pessimism: life isn't good. Life is the continual strive to satisfy desires but then when we do we're left unhappy.
- Pessimism as exemplified in Miley Cyrus's song "The Climb"
- Ray's claims that being rich and famous are only minimally beneficial in living the good life, and frequently detract from it
"Bottom of the Curve", Hi-Phi Nation podcast episode on the mid-life crisis and telic vs atelic desires